Saturday, August 28, 2010

A Painted House

I've just finished my first book of this year in MVS. It was "A Painted House" by John Grisham. I bought it at a thrift store about 5 blocks from my new house for $0.90. It was plenty worth it in my opinion!

It was during my time in Iowa last summer that I first started reading John Grisham and I'm happy to say that I have another one waiting to be read. It's "The Last Juror" and I picked it up for free at a place called the Book Thing, a book exchange open on weekends for anyone to donate books or take them home for free. That's one great thing about Baltimore!

"A Painted House" wasn't anything like the other John Grisham books I've read. It had no legal side to it at all. There was a deputy who talked about arresting one of the characters, but that was it. Instead it was a story of a young boy named Luke growing up on a cotton farm in Arkansas in the early 1950s. Because of their hired hands during harvest Luke had plenty of adventures and learned a lot about family, life and death. I thoroughly enjoyed it! Anyone want to read it? I could probably get it to you.

Baseball took a prominent role in the story. The family was enamored with the St. Louis Cardinals and listened to their games on the radio at every opportunity. Because of that, the Cubs were enemies, though not ones to worry about (sorry, mom). It was the New York Dodgers that they were really concerned with.

Another interesting thing: Luke's grandmother mentioned the passage from Luke 14 that I wrote my last post on. Gran was an excellent example of someone helping those that can't repay you for your kindness.

1 comment:

Mom said...

Sounds like a book I'd enjoy. Even though they didn't like the Cubs. I'll look for it in the library.

Post a Comment